Strategic Business Development Manager - MTBE, Butadiene, C4
Newly created growth role
Highly visible role to the C-level
About Our Client
Our client is a manufacturing leader within the petrochemical / chemical industry. They carry a broad range of products throughout the value chain. They are built upon a solid foundation of technologies that is has been improved through numerous rounds of innovation across the past 40 years. Their presence spans across 50 countries and its products and services cuts across multiple industries that includes government water systems, telecommunication, healthcare, energy and power and more.
As part of its growth and expansion plans, they have created a new team focusing on bringing a new vertical into their overall business. The Growth Projects team would be starting the liquid chemicals portfolio for the overall business, leveraging on all the resources that the company owns.
Since it's a highly critical project for the company, Michael Page has been engaged to support the hire of an expert in liquid chemicals, spearheading the strategic business development and growth of the new business vertical.
This role reports directly to the Head of the Business, with a dotted line to the CEO, and clear exposure to the Senior Management and C-Suite level as well. You will act as the lead for the new business vertical in liquid chemicals, and drive your team consisting of several functions to successfully develop and launch effective go-to-market strategies, as well as leading investment related initiatives.
The success of the role will be measured on the following:
- Strategic Business Development - Conduct preparations and feasibility studies for any investment activities, which includes market assessment and handling commercial contracts
- Project Management - Provide project management support to the C-suite team and develop project plans for functional leads while working with them
- Performance Management of Implemented Initiatives - Drive continuous improvement of the commercial processes
- Stakeholder Management across Functional Team - Have frequent discussions with the senior leadership team on regional / global performance, gaps or opportunities identified
- People Management & Leadership - You will manage at least 7 direct reports, and be responsible for coaching and empowering them to drive implementation
The Successful Applicant
- Excellent academic qualification like an MBA, MSc, or equivalent
- Experience working within a chemical company or petrochemical industry, and handling projects involving liquid chemicals (or bulk chemicals), and specifically MTBE / Butadiene
- Strong people management skills and track record of developing talent
- At least 15 years' experience in market development, strategy and business development
- Solid project management skills and experience of managing project budgets
- Having successfully led growth projects and investment deals in the petrochemical industry
- Strong and strategic marketing skills which includes market segmentation, planning, and research along with knowledge of sales management techniques
- Excellent communication and presentation skills for effective communication to senior stakeholders, colleagues and others
- Cultural awareness to region specific practices and behaviours
What's on Offer
This is a role considered upon the new business focus and the intention to aggressively grow the direct business model. We are looking for a capable project management and strategic business development expert with experience in liquid chemicals. Our client would consider relocating potentials from any region, as long as their main bulk of experience is within Asia Pacific and also brings about the relevant experience required. The ideal candidate will be in the leadership pipeline for the region, owning autonomy and responsibility of the company's strategy and marketing.