Senior Investment Analyst
Entrepreneurial office with hands-on leader
Freedom and flexibility in approach to investments
About Our Client
Established in 1939, the Stena Group has developed an international portfolio of companies with business activities all over the world. Included in their portfolios are shipping, ferry routes, offshore drilling, property, recycling, environmental services, trade and financial services. Together the group achieved revenue of USD$5.5billion in 2016.
One of the smaller parts of the group, Stena Investments is based out of Gothenburg, Sweden and has an office here in Singapore to be closer to the Asian side of their portfolio. They were formed in 2006 with a mandate to manage long term global equities. Their investment philosophy is to work in a focused way, managing a smaller portfolio of investments that are well thought out and have longevity attached to them. The current portfolio has approximately 25, long only investments.
The Stena Investments company was formed to be completely agnostic to both sector and geography, instead focusing on a methodical, intellectual investing to ensure a minimum annual absolute return.
The Senior Investment Analyst approach in the teamwork of sourcing solid investment ideas should be achieved through:-
- Intellectual research into trends, news, forecasts, politics, policy and leads to identify possible investment targets
- Deep dive, fundamental analysis into said targets to generate reports on quantitative and qualitative information
- Extensive travelling to meet with CEOs, Partners, Competitors, etc to generate second opinions and further detail
- Representing Stena at events and conferences to increase industry knowledge
- Pragmatic discussion and debate with colleagues to give and receive feedback on ideas and reports
- Being curious and inquisitive in everyday life. Draw inspiration from the world around you
- Pushing back on what you are told. Don't take information at its face value
- Competency in creating financial models, cash flow and balance sheet analysis.
The Successful Applicant
Due to the size of the team and its's innate camaraderie, the hiring of the Senior Investment Analyst must be completed extremely carefully. At the top of the requirements list is an excellent and accomplished analyst who can represent Stena Investments with senior stakeholders internally and externally. This is especially true with the approach the organisation wishes to foster - professional, knowledgeable, ethical and pragmatic. The list of requirements below is not exhaustive of how they will search, it gives a flavour of the type of profiles they are keen on meeting:-
- Minimum 7 years experience working as an analyst within a relevant organisation - portfolio management, corporate finance, PE, etc
- A global citizen - must have lived, worked, or been educated in at least one other country
- An understanding of the current Asian market and ideas about how it will develop
- A genuine interest for stocks
- A relevant bachelors degree as a minimum, further qualifications are looked upon favourably
- CFA qualified would be preferred
- Able to work independently, curiously and with energy
- Be open-minded, flexible and critical in their thoughts
- Be a good team player
- Have strong EQ to read situations and react appropriately when representing Stena
What's on Offer
Stena Investments are able to offer an attractive base salary and bonus package commensurate with the experience of the candidate.