Head of Risk
Fast growing e-commerce fintech business
Leading a new department
About Our Client
Zilingo opened as an online e-commerce marketplace in 2015. Their goal was to provide an opportunity where entrepreneurial fashion operators could access their consumers through a digital platform. With the support of a variety of investors they are continuing to raise significant capital and currently have over 15,000 merchants and 5 million consumers per month using the site. Currently operating in Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, India, China and US the company aims to help fashion and beauty businesses in Asian countries to increase their global reach through e-commerce.
In order to diversify the offering and drive the commercial success of the business, various new ventures are being created under the Zilingo umbrella. The arm that we are recruiting for is a SME loans business started to help their merchants with cash flow and capital. As this is a departure from the consumer space, the technical personnel required differ from the current setup. This Head of Risk will be one of the first of these new hires.
Zilingo was formed for the sole purpose of helping fashion and lifestyle businesses in South-East Asia to increase their global reach. Now they are building a financial services business to support their merchants with financing options. Zilingo's vision is to offer optimal financing products to any business across their supply chain. As they grow this business, risk is a critical area which needs to be analysed, calculated, quantified, reduced and mitigated.
The Head of Risk role is a challenging role in any e-commerce start up. For this role in particular a creative approach to finding solutions is paramount. Whilst not an exhaustive list, the following responsibilities are likely to be art of the role:-
- Developing processes and risk models to identify, evaluate and manage risks across the financial services products
- Actively collaborating with Product teams to ensure new products and processes are aligned to business's risk appetite
- Working closely with finance team to manage disbursals, rollovers and collections to ensure default risk as well as cash flows are managed in line with funds in bank
- Taking a call with business and finance head on source of funding transactions such as equity or debt capital basis interest rates and risk of capital
- Building and leading a team to manage risks for both business and consumer lending products
- Working closely with Zilingo tech team to automate and build dynamic risk scores for businesses and consumers
- Advising the Senior Management Team in alignment with their risk appetite
- Troubleshooting and anticipating issues by using previous experience to identify speed bumps
The Successful Applicant
As a new business proposition, the company has limited experience in financial risk. As a result, the hiring of the Head of Risk must be a watertight process. At the top of the requirements list is an outstanding candidate who has in their career dealt with various risk scenarios and who can safeguard Zilingo's stakeholders. The current priorities of the CEO is on building an extensive seller ecosystem catering to merchants across Asia and to make Zilingo the go to platform for private labels and merchants in the region. As a result, a strong Head of Risk is crucial to their development.
The list of requirements below is not exhaustive, however it gives a flavour of the type of profile the business is keen on meeting:-
- Minimum 5 years of experience in risk management in the financial service industry, ideally in SME financing, banking and financial sector or fintech
- Past experience in setting up credit policies, risk modelling, credit scorecards
- Strong leadership and communication skills, in-depth and detailed knowledge on a wide range of financial products and processes
- A hands-on professional with strong analytical skills coupled with strategic thinking and an entrepreneurial mind-set
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to inspire and motivate others
- An understanding of the working culture prevalent in a start-up
- An appreciation of the brand journey and a desire to be part of its next evolution
What's on Offer
The remuneration for this role will be delivered in two parts - a base salary, commensurate with the experience and pedigree of the successful candidate and an entrance into an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) that has a short vesting period.