Head of Fintech
Fast growing retail based Fintech business
Business head of a large portion of the group
About Our Client
Zilingo opened as an online e-commerce marketplace in 2015. Their goal was to provide an opportunity where entrepreneurial fashion operators could access their consumers through a digital platform. With the support of a variety of investors they are continuing to raise significant capital and currently have over 15,000 merchants and 5 million consumers per month using the site. Currently operating in Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, India, China and US the company aims to help fashion and beauty businesses in Asian countries to increase their global reach through e-commerce.
In order to diversify the offering and drive the commercial success of the business, various new ventures are being created under the Zilingo umbrella. The arm that we are recruiting for is a Fintech business started to help their merchants and platform consumers with cash flow and capital. As this is a departure from the retail space, the technical personnel required differ from the current setup. This Head of Fintech will be one of the first of these new specific hires.
Zilingo was formed for the sole purpose of helping fashion and lifestyle businesses in South-East Asia to increase their global reach. Now they are building a Fintech business to support their merchants with financing options. Zilingo's vision is to offer optimal financing products to any business across their supply chain. As they grow this business, leadership is a critical area they need to get right. Previously they have hired strong generalists. Now they wish to hire direct experience to help them scale.
Any business head role is a challenging position in any e-commerce start up. For this role in particular though flexibility, adaptability and vision will be paramount to success. Whilst not a comprehensive list, the following responsibilities are likely to be part of the role:-
- Building and managing the entire FS business for Zilingo both on the consumer and merchant side
- Have full ownership and accountability for the services and products available as part of the business, including, but not limited to:- Advance Payouts, Loans and Credit Terms
- Develop and build new financial services and products to take to market
- Operating in a risk efficient manner, scale the business in each emerging market with the help and support of the local sales teams
- Manage and direct the on the ground teams across the region
- Create and enhance risk analysis tools in tandem with the internal tech, product and risk teams
- Manage the numbers - engaging with banks, investors, clients and internal staff
- Be happy to travel - initially to Indonesia and growing to the rest of the region quickly
The Successful Applicant
As a new business proposition, the company has achieved significant success with their Fintech business already. As a result, the hiring of the Head of Fintech will be the start of a much more focused scaling process. At the top of the requirements list is an outstanding candidate who has in their career dealt with a similar business build, ideally almost from scratch. The current priorities of the CEO are to build an extensive seller ecosystem catering to merchants across Asia and to make Zilingo the go to platform for private labels and merchants in the region. As a result, a strong Head of Fintech is crucial to the company's development.
The list of requirements below is not exhaustive, however it gives a flavour of the type of profile the business is keen on meeting:-
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a Fintech environment. This could be from a firm, a consultancy or banking background
- An outstanding educational background. Graduate in a relevant discipline plus relevant professional qualifications preferred
- Have a relationship management focus - be able to get out to the market and sell Zilingo as a premium financial services provider
- Proven experience leading and scaling businesses. Especially understanding the potential risks of scaling fast
- Adaptable and flexible to work with emerging markets
- Strong leadership and communication skills, in-depth and detailed knowledge on a wide range of financial products and processes
- Any legal experience or expertise would be looked upon favourably
- An understanding of the working culture prevalent in a start-up
- An appreciation of the brand journey and a desire to be part of its next evolution
What's on Offer
The remuneration for this role will be delivered in two parts - a base salary, commensurate with the experience and pedigree of the successful candidate and an entrance into an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) that has a short vesting period.